Sunday, February 19, 2006

Long Weekends - Achieving "Flow"!

Why is it that my weekends go faster than my weekdays? This is Presidents' Day weekend, and it's already Sunday evening, and where has my time gone! Well, I'll tell you.

A few years ago, I read a book by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi called, "Flow - The Psychology of Optimal Experience." My take away thought was no revelation to me, but an affirmation that, when one enjoys what one is doing, and one is fully absorbed, one reaches one's full potential, and reaches a state of mental 'flow'. In this state, the creative mind is swept away. Time means nothing. The mind stands in its own time, creating the soul's process.

That is what sewing is for me. The flow of imagining the perfection of creation. My creation. I can do anything with my fabric, my notions, my machines, my mind. My very sense of being dissapears into the 'flow' of my work.

Well, I do sometimes achieve 'flow' at my day job. Sometimes. But let's face it. I do the day job so that I can live. I live to create! So I much more often experience 'flow' while putzing around in "Cat Fur Studio".

So, do you know what I mean by "flow"?

No comments:

View Barbara Elfman Bell's profile on LinkedIn