Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Drapey Dress


Jomar in Philadelphia sells some great knits. This one is an acrylic blend, wash and dry. This is Butterick 4920, the dress version. (Scroll below to see my "par-tay" top. On this, I lined the skirt with nylon tricot, and at the hem, like a slip, edged this with narrow lace. Now, I don't have to wear a slip. The fabric itself is finished with twin needle hem. In place of the twin needle, I would really like to have a coverstitch machine. I am looking to buy the BabyLock CLCS machine, and am searching around to get one for a good price. I do NOT want to pay MSRP. There is BabyLock dealer where I live, but they want MSRP. I am considering getting the Janome instead, but that would be a compromise, and at my age, I've realised that compromise is not always the best thing for me on some things. Anyway... Back to this pattern... This is a great dress to throw on - machine washable, and easy to wear.

5 comments:

Tany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tany said...

That is a beautiful dress, you look wonderful! (I removed my previous comment because there was a spelling error!)

Lisette M said...

Your dress turned out beautiful. Does Jomar have regular big sales? I was hoping to make it there...

Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said...

Thanks, Tany and Lisette -- Lisette, Jomar does have great sales throughout the year. Their everyday prices are good, though. For example, I paid only $2 per yard for the fabric for this dress, and it wasn't on sale.

Anonymous said...

Your dress is beautiful, love the front drape.

View Barbara Elfman Bell's profile on LinkedIn