Sunday, May 03, 2009

The Shirt On My Back


It's been a while since I sewed a traditional shirt - at least four years. So I thought I'd take a crack at this shirt from Hot Patterns.

I made a few changes, but nothing significant. Since I was using a striped fabric, I divided the back yoke at center back, and cut the pieces on the bias, creating some interest there. As for technique, I recommend David Page Coffin's book on shirtmaking. This reference is unparalleled, and I've been using it since it came out in the late 1990s.

10 comments:

Mardel said...

Very pretty shirt. I love the bias chevron at the yoke, the bias cuffs and the lovely multicolor buttons. Definitely a "happy" shirt.

meredithp said...

Don't you just love DPC's book? It's fun to do something so precise and tailored. And of course, you did a perfect job. I love that stripe. It looks good enough to eat!

Liana said...

Beautiful, and I agree with Mardel that it is a happy shirt. Lovely yoke!

Shannon said...

Beautiful shirt! I love the chevron at the back - it adds such an interesting detail.

gwensews said...

Beautiful shirt. I love shirts, all colors. Great job.

Elaray said...

I've always been partial to stripes. Love the chevron on the back yoke.

Lisette M said...

I love the way the yoke turned out. I still have to try making a shirt I will look for the source you mentioned. By the way, do you mind sharing info on your sandals? I love them!!

Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said...

Thanks so much for leaving your comments! Lisette, the shoes are from Donald J Pliner - they're several seasons old. I think even five or more years old. I looked inside my shoes but could not discern the style name or number. And unfortunately, a quick search online does not yield anything like these shoes. Sorry I can not help.

Lisette M said...

Thanks for trying!

merrily row said...

I am one of the "looks but never makes a peep" peeps. But this blouse is fabulous. I will have to try the hot patterns. Yours come out so fabulous. Very professional.

View Barbara Elfman Bell's profile on LinkedIn