Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Barefoot & In The Kitchen

Wearing a simple-to-make apron.

I had some leftover cotton fabric (from which I made a skirt earlier), purchased from Metro Textiles in NY a few years ago. There was not enough fabric to make a second skirt, even for a child. But there was enough for half a skirt. And so, an apron was born!
The fabric was pre-hemmed, so all I had to do was add a waistband (of black cotton), bind the edges (using the same black fabric), and add ties. And there you have it. A quick, kind of cute kitchen accessory. Below, you can see how I used wide ties at the waistline, but pleated them so they'd fit into the waistband neatly. I've seen this type of thing done on vintage aprons.
Speaking of aprons, I got this book recently - "A is for Aprons". After seeing my friend Jan's copy, along with her cute apron collection, I wanted my own. My own book. And my own apron collection. The directions for this apron are not in this book (it's so simple to make, no directions are needed), but I'm finding plenty of other inspiring designs to think about.

8 comments:

Lisette M said...

I love the apron (your picture made me laugh). I would be worry about getting dirty though since it is so fancy. Thanks for showing us the trick with the ties.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm loving the apron! What a great way to use up a leftover length of fabric!

Little Hunting Creek said...

So cute! and a great use of fabric that would otherwise be unloved!

gwensews said...

Love aprons! This one is elegant.

Gorgeous Things said...

I love that fabric, and I love your apron!

KayY said...

I can certainly understand why you wanted to use that fabric! Gorgeous!

Gigi said...

You are so cute! Please don't spill any spaghetti sauce on that beautiful apron.

Meg said...

That is the chicest apron I have seen in a long time.

View Barbara Elfman Bell's profile on LinkedIn