Thursday, August 13, 2009

Insanity...

doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

Over the past week, I've been what Dr. Einstein would categorize as eminently insane. I've had big time serger problems. Seams that sew, then don't sew. So, I re-thread, then sew again. Same problem. I re-thread. I check the manual. I re-thread, again, checking the diagram. Again. And Again. I start all over again. All threads off. Then rethread. 1, 2, 3. 1 - lower looper. 2 - upper looper. 3 - needle. Then, stitches skip. Thread tangles. I consult the manual. "When stitches skip, change the needle". Check. "When stitches skip, change the thread.". Re-thread. OK. Check. So then I re-threaded again, checking the diagram.

You are way ahead of me here, by now.

Guess what? The upper looper thread had to go BEHIND that whatchamacallit, THERE. Shouild I blame the diagram? Should I blame the instructions? Nope. For sure, the problem was all me. I did the same thing. Over and over again. And I expected different results.

I lost one week of sewing time (yep, every evening...after dinner... for one week, I obsessed over this problem.). All because I did the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

3 comments:

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

Hi Barbara,
Don't feel bad. It happens to the best of us. A few months ago, my old Toyota serger was giving me fits. I tried everything to make it stitch. Finally, I broke it down and examined every part. The stitch finger had broken off!! Now I have a Brother.
Angela.

Lisette M said...

Been there! At least you solved your problem...:-0

Liana said...

Oh yeah, this seems to be required. My old Kenmore would sew great, then go weird. I finally learned to just rethread, and not worry about why. I do the same with my serger when it goes nutty. It usually works, but it took me a long time to really know where the threads should be.

View Barbara Elfman Bell's profile on LinkedIn