Sunday, May 08, 2011

What's Black & White...

..and a utilitarian wonder?

This, my friends, is the latest output from Cat Fur Studio. I like this dress a lot.
I'm a bit late to the party for the Deco Vibe Cosmopolitan Dress by Hot Patterns. Whatev.

A few years late, It still looks good.

My fabric is a rayon-lycra-poly blend (I think), from Christine Jonson. She's sold out of this, as it was offered last year. Fabric Mart had something like it a while ago, I noticed, although I don't know if it's the same stuff. The fabric has an allover lace pattern. I usedblack foldover elastic on the neckline, which I raised a full 3/4 inch. The elastic was cut 1 1/2 inches smaller than the fabric on each side. The black gives it some definition, I think.



Although I raised the neckline, this puppy still needs a cami underneath. Hey, I was going to church today in this, and didn't want to cause a distraction in the pews. At the waistline, I inserted a black sash. This is (I think) black PowerDry from Malden Mills. I usually use this fabric for undergarments. (Shirts, and underwear). This was the only solid black I had that was the right weight, so I went with it. I kind of think it reads dark grey, but oh well. It works. At the hem, I used a serged rolled hem at sleeves and skirt hem, enhancing with some wooly nylon in the lower looper for some extra heft. It worked really well.

I'll leave you with the back view.


Till we meet again!

8 comments:

patti said...

Great-looking dress!

bpatricia74 said...

I love it! It looks very nice with the black trim!

wendy said...

beautiful! i love the constrast trim :-)

Linda L said...

Like you I am late to the party for this dress as well. I have had it for forever and still not close to sewing. Love your fabric.

Jane M said...

Wha a delightful dress on you. Terrific contrast trim and wonderful fit back and front.

Gorgeous Things said...

You look fabulous!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Barbara - this is stunning! And you are right the black adds just the right touch. Love that it's well aged CJ fabric!

Trudy said...

You look amazing.

View Barbara Elfman Bell's profile on LinkedIn