Saturday, August 06, 2011

Thank You, Fremont



Our little Fremont has died. For the past several months, Fremont had been lethargic, at times with little appetite. Our vet saw her many, many times, and could not find an organic reason for her symptoms. Her symptoms appeared right after the death of Midget, this past January.

We put Fremont on an appetite stimulant, had her scanned (for growths..tumors), found nothing, so went on vacation last month. Our cat sitter, Lorena, stayed at the house with Fremont, and our two kittens (now, almost 6 months old), Snowy and Smokey.

Nick and I were in the backcountry of the Sierra Nevada mountains for one week, and unreachable.

We came back two weeks ago to find that since we left, Fremont had not been eating at all. So Lorena took her in to the vet. Lorena and our veterinary team found cancer - fast growing - in Fremont's abdomen. She seemed in extreme pain. The tumors were wrapped around her kidneys and liver. The poor little girl. They made the decision to let her go. Nick and I have a standing order to our veterinarian and Lorena. They have full authority to make such decisions of life or death with any of our animals in our absence, and I totally support their decision. I am just so sorry that I could not be with Fremont as she died. I really do not understand why the cancer was not found earlier. I honestly don't doubt the competence of our vet, but it seems really, really, weird that cancer would grow so very quickly.

The morning Nick and I left for the airport for vacation, Fremont was sitting on top of the back of our green leather couch. I remember the dusty smell of her fur as I buried my nose between her shoulder blades, ran my hand down her right side, scratched her head between the ears, gave her a treat, and left, not knowing I wouldn't see her again, at least in this life.

Nick and I buried Fremont's body two weeks ago, along with Midget's ashes. Midget had died this past January, and the ground was frozen, so we had her body cremated.

I embroidered a linen shroud for Fremont.

I have been sewing quite a bit. It's the blogging that's been faltering! I'll soon post more of my sewing, and also about Snowy and Smokey...our Egyptian Mau gentlemen, who we adopted in April.

17 comments:

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Sorry for the loss Barbara. I had a cat for twenty years. It really was my best company. We seem crazy, but I also did a small blanket for the farewell...

Little Hunting Creek said...

I'm so sorry - it's hard to lose such a good friend.

Rosie said...

Oh this loss always hits home for me. I am really sorry about the loss.

Amber Elayne said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Pets are not pets, they're four-legged furry family members who give more unconditional love then some of their human counterparts. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my fur-child.

RIP Fremont

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm sorry to hear that Fremont has passed away but at least you have your two new kittens to lessen the loss.

Linda L said...

It is always hard to lose a pet! Sorry to hear about your loss.

Lisette M said...

I'm so sorry for your loss; I remember when you first talked about adopting Freemont. Take comfort in the wonderful life you gave her.

patti said...

Barbara (and Nick), I am so sorry to hear this news. Take comfort in knowing that you provided Fremont a wonderful home for many years.

Gorgeous Things said...

Oh Barbara, I'm so sorry to hear about Fremont. They really are parts of our families.

Patty said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Barbara. I know how hard it is to say goodbye to a cherished family member. Take care of yourself.

Mardel said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Fremont. It is such a loss, losing the cats who are our families.

Mary Beth said...

In humans cancer cells can't generally be found until they are .25". Scary! You did all you could, cancer grows quickly and can spread very very rapidly. Your shroud is lovely, Barbara, and really, I am glad you were spared the final decision and trauma. She's in Kitty Heaven, now, watching your household proceed with rearing of the new little lives. God Blesses!

DebbieF said...

Oh Barbara, I am so sorry to hear about your Fremont. My dear friend is going through a very similar situation right now with her beautiful siamese, Kylie. She was fine until about a month ago, when she began vomiting and lost her appetite. She was diagnosed with lymphoma and her decline has been very rapid...but until a month ago, she was fine! My heart breaks for you, but I hope that you find solace in all the wonderful memories you have of both fur babis

Jane M said...

What a sad time for you. I'm so very sorry to hear the news about Fremont but am sure your dear cat loved the her life with you. I hope the new additipons and happier memories of Fremont are asomecomfort to you.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I think sometimes our animals know we can't bear to lose them and they wait until we are gone to pass on. One of my beloved childhood dogs died at the kennel. We knew it was coming soon as she was quite elderly, but I think she wanted to spare us some grief.

sz said...

Deepest condolences on your loss. Our furr babies never last long enough. It is so hard to lose such a long time loving companion.

hassam said...

I am so sorry for your loss.....www.hangsangaccessories.com

View Barbara Elfman Bell's profile on LinkedIn