Saturday, December 01, 2007

Cotton Voile Shirt for Christine's Birthday



















When we were at Kashi's on the day after Thanksgiving, Christine pointed to a flowered cotton voile and said, "Wow, that's really nice". But she didn't want to buy the fabric. (She's not a collector, like me.) So I bought it, saying I was going to make pajamas of it.

Well, the fabric became a shirt for her. A birthday gift.

I used Simplicity 4112. This is a great style, and a well drafted pattern.

The tie and neckband are cut in one piece, and I used cream silk organza as interfacing. The rest of the shirt is pretty much classic in style; it's got cuffs, which I also interfaced with organza. I used fine silk thread and hand stitched down the cuffs and neckline, but I also quick serge finished the seams. An interesting design feature of this style is the puffy sleeves - not only are they gathered and puffy at the shoulder, they also have an angular insert at the elbow, which is cut on the bias and gives a voluminous look. The cuffs fit tightly against the wrist, which emphasizes the 'full sleeve' look.

The photo on the right shows what I did with the sleeve heads - I initially put in one sleeve head, cut on the bias, but on second thought, added a second triangular shaped one, which gave the style the extra support needed to stand out from the body when worn.

This is a great blouse, and I am going to make one for myself of black cotton batiste.

I can not show the blouse being worn, as it's too small for me.

This fabric is super fine quality, and was inexpensive. Kashi still has it, I think, if you're interested. NAYY.

2 comments:

Kitty Couture said...

Beautiful blouse! What a great gift.

Meg said...

Whenever I see a blouse like this in the store or fabric like this, I HAVE to buy it. So feminine and pretty.

View Barbara Elfman Bell's profile on LinkedIn