Sunday, April 20, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Tomorrow is my mom, Anne's birthday. She is getting this:
This must be the fifth or sixth time I've made this shirt. It's the third one I made for mom. She's already got a black linen version, and a white linen version. So it seemed only right that she'd now get a black and white version. In faithfulness to Gregor Mendel, maybe the next one I make will be grey!

Although the pattern envelope says this is a 'two hour' top, yeah, right... it always takes me about 6 to 8 hours to make. That's because when it comes to sewing for other people, I can't do things 'fast and easy'. The interior of this top is totally finished. I used welt seams, silk organza interfacing, and, in general, did everything I could to make it clean looking and durable for many years of wear without fraying.

I've been using this pattern a lot in the past few years because it's got a 'goldilocks' neckline. Perfect. Not too low. Not too high. Hugs the body 'just right'. Here is a version of this pattern that I made last year for myself. I also made another version a few years back, using wool jersey, lined with silk. And I made a matching pair of pants to go with.



This pattern is out of print, but available here, if you're interested.

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

Beautiful! So simple yet elegant. I love the fabric.

Anonymous said...

Argh! I bought this pattern ages ago and I have misplaced it! I've been dying to make it lately. (In fact, I've taken half my house apart looking for it.) Your version is beautiful!

View Barbara Elfman Bell's profile on LinkedIn