Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Liana tagged me for some book fun. Neat! Here are the guidelines:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Turn to page 123
3. Find the fifth sentence
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people and acknowledge who tagged you. (this is the only part I might not do...)

Ok, so today I was at Borders and bought, "On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen". It's next to my computer, right here. And on page 123...the fifth sentence just happens to coincide with a heading. It says:

Abundant Meat in North America (heading)

From the beginning, Americans have enjoyed an abundance of meat made possible by the size and richness of the continent. In the 19th century, as the country became urbanized and more people lived away from the farm, meats were barreled in salt to preserve them in transit and in the shops; salt pork was as much a staple food as bread (hence such phrases as "scraping the bottom of the barrel" and "pork-barrel politics"). In the 1870s a wider distribution of fresh meat, especially beef, was made possible by several advances, including the growth of the cattle industry in the West, the introduction of cattle cars on the railroads, and the development of the refrigerated railroad car by Gustavus Swift and Philip Armour.

So, this shows that one other interest of mine (other than sewing) is food. Eating it. So, I cook it, too.

This mirrors my interest in fashion sewing. I like wearing it (fashion). So I sew it, too!

No comments:

View Barbara Elfman Bell's profile on LinkedIn