Thursday, July 17, 2008

I "Haltered" It




Vogue 8448 was featured on the front of Vogue Patterns Magazine this past Spring, and I knew it was for me.

I also knew, from looking at the design, that it would be a droopy, stretchy mess, especially in the heavy rayon knit I was planning to use, unless I gave it some undergirding.

This is a simple design, and it is elegant, but, again, elegance is not achieved or experienced when worried that one has to continually hoist one's clothing up all evening.

So I made a few minor, but significant additions to the support structure.

First, I incorporated 1/4 inch clear elastic into the edge bordering the neckline. Inserted on a 1:1.2 ratio or thereabouts. (Not shown.)

Second, I incorporated 1 inch waistband quality elastic into the edge bordering the 'backline'. Inserted on a 1:1.3 ratio, as the rayon knit fabric is very heavy, and I needed that elastic grip against my body to hold the dress up. Backline is not a word, but you know what I mean, right?

Third, I incorporated a 'stay' at the center back, to wrap around my bra strap. Below, you'll see my bra strap inserted into the center back stay. You can also see how I incorporated the 1 inch elastic around the entire edge of the backline. I used my coverstitch machine to secure the elastic down, but you could just as easily do this with a zigzag or a twin needle on a regular machine. Et Voila. I have a dress that is comfortable to wear, easy to make, and suitable for many summer occasions.

8 comments:

kasizzle said...

You look stunning!
I love your idea to wrap around the bra strap.

Leslie in Austin said...

Bee-oooooo-tee-ful!!!

Lisette M said...

Just gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

People (like me) who see you in this dress are going to pour through patterns and fabrics trying to duplicate it. It's beautiful on you. So elegant.

Cennetta said...

Beautiful dress. Love the action photo. lol

Gorgeous Things said...

That is so beautiful!

Marji said...

That is one hot sexy dress. Looks fabulous on you!

CraftRage said...

Holy cow! I heart that dress!! And thanks for the tip on the bra strap stay!

View Barbara Elfman Bell's profile on LinkedIn