Saturday, May 15, 2010

Pyramid Handbag


I have mixed feelings about the Hot Patterns Pyramid Bag. On one hand, it's a neat looking bag, and capacious. On the other hand, it's a bit unwieldy. Opening it's like opening a sleeping bag, and the contents of the bag tend to slip around inside. On the whole, it's a keeper, and it's interesting. I've been using it every day for three weeks, on and off, for commuting. It is big enough for my lunch and shoes (I always wrap my shoes in two layers of plastic bag before putting them any where near my lunch, and still, I think it's kind of gross to put shoes in a handbag, because of where those shoes go, but I do it anyway and I digress). I often commute wearing low heeled shoes and change to heels at the office.

One option in construction is to insert a 10 by 10 inch stiffener in the bottom of the bag. I did not do this, because the bag would have been too wide and unwieldy. I prefer to have the contents dictate the shape of the bag. That way, if I don't have a lot of stuff in there, the bag is smaller and closer to my body while I'm wearing it. Handy in city crowds, where I don't want to be constantly reining in the hugeness of a handbag as it protrudes from my body.
I used faux suede from fabric.com. I put a flat pocket on the outside of one side of the bag, into which things like transit passes go -- things I need quick access to. I installed the bellows pocket on the other side. I like the design, and I love the inside pockets, and the colorful lining cheers my day.

As an aside, in the video, I'm wearing my aqua wool dress (see previous post), so you can see that in action as well!

7 comments:

Gorgeous Things said...

I saw this bag in person and it's gorgeous! Love the color.

emelle said...

thanks for the video...at 5ft tall I have thought this was tooo much bag for me and I think this just confirms it....but on you it looks great, even if it is cumbersome...

cidell said...

I'm totally thinking about making this bag. Someone at PR this weekend had it and she reduced it by 20 percent. But, I think it does need a separating zipper with two heads so you can open it on either side. Tx for the video.

Mary said...

I agree with you-the bag seems bulky and cumbersome. Thanks for the video!

Immelu (Emily) said...

I made this! You pretty much expressed EXACTLY how I feel about it... Like it, it's cool, but...dang, is it ever awkward!

Trudy said...

This is a very interesting bag. Thanks so much for doing the video. It is very helpful to decide whether to make the bag or not.

Trudy
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

Grazina Ajana Szewczyk said...

Barbara, I love the colour and the slouchy look but I agree with you that it may be awkward to get things out of the bag especially in a crowded bus for example. It reminds you of a sleeping bag, and to me it looks like those travel garment bags that you buy to protect business suits.
Watching the video I had an idea similar to cidell's: a zipper with two heads, but you know what? how about a strong seam across the middle of the bag, right across the bottom, so you have two deep sacks instead if one?
I think it would still be big enough, but if you want it full size sometimes – a row of snaps that will stop the stuff inside your bag from sliding into the middle of it but would make it easy to create a one big space bag when you need it…

View Barbara Elfman Bell's profile on LinkedIn