Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Oh, For That Certain "Je Ne Sais Quoi"


Powerdry. In a dress.

Here's Hot Patterns 102 in Powerdry. This pattern comes with three different bodice variations and three different skirt variations. I used the 'scoop neck' top with the slight A line, ruffled bottom. Per my muslin (see previous post), I took about 2 inches in at the side seams of the waistline, thus creating a somewhat slimmer look.

I own more flattering dresses. But this is not bad. And it is comfortable! And I really like the way the pattern was drafted. The skirt and ruffle is particularly well designed. I'm just not totally thrilled about the 'drapy' thing going on at the waistline.

But HELLO, BARBARA...What Did You Expect!??? LOOK AT THE LINE DRAWING. LOOK AT THE ILLUSTRATION. You knew you were getting what you got when you bought it!!!!

So, why did I do this? Why did I make something that I knew might not be stellar on me? Because, maybe when I bought this pattern, in my 'click your heels three times and it will be true ' imaginary queendom of which I am the undisputed ruler, I was hoping to acquire not just a dress design, but that certain self possessed "je ne sais quoi" of the women in the illustration on the front of the pattern envelope.

Still... not bad, though...not bad at all. If I were to stand with my legs slightly apart and with my left elbow crooked and my hand on my hip....with a brisk wind blowing through my hair...

3 comments:

Lisette M said...

Not bad at all Barbara!!I really like the neckline. Does the band at your waistline/hipline stay put? I would be worried about it slipping out of place...

Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said...

Thanks, Lisette. Good point about the elastic band. Well, it is tight enough to stay where I put it, but not so tight as to cut off circulation. I tried it at several lengths, and chose the best, I thought.

Kitty Couture said...

I think you look quite lovely in it and very slim!! What a great idea to make it in powderdry.
I like the look of that pattern but know it would turn out terrible on me. However, you wear it very well and your fabric and colour choices are possibly the most flattering. I hope you get to wear it! :)

View Barbara Elfman Bell's profile on LinkedIn